Well, there are some!
First of all, the BCG list of requirements for the resume results in a resume like you have probably not written before. I have worked all afternoon on mine and there may be some “lessons learned” for you.
- The educational section (2-A) asks for your non-genealogical education. Do not forget to include your awards etc. that you might have received in your line of work. It does not have to be exhaustive but should show leadership, excellence in your field, etc.
- Of course, your reasons for seeking certification (2-C) should not be frivolous.
- The section to discuss your experience in genealogical research (2-D) seems to me to be misplaced and is better at the very beginning. It forms a “Profile” of you.
- I broke up Research Facilities (section 2-E) into sub categories based on the two sub-categories they listed (names of facilities and approaches you take to access materials outside your home). I then broke the latter sub-group into the sub-sub-categories that they listed and addressed each one separately.
- the List of articles etc. (2-F) took the longest for me. I had to go through all the back issues of a newsletter that I write for and list all the articles. I still do not think I caught them all but there are 15 or more on the list. It was more than I thought there would be. I broke this into two sub-categories called “articles” and “teaching” since I have done a lot of both. I put them both under a common title of “publications”. It seems to work.
- I have held positions of responsibility with one of the organizations I belong to and so I included it in the section called “list genealogical….societies” (2-G).
I used my MAC’s standard template for a resume and modified the titles to be consistent with what they asked for. I also kept things in the same order except for moving the Profile piece to the lead paragraph.
Hope they aren’t too persnickety about that! Those of you who might have comments or thoughts to share, please do. I might be totally off base with these!
What I have done since the last post: worked on the resume and finished up the Take Home Quiz!