First, the Norwegian Street Fair resulted in my being approximately 60 minutes late but, I ordered and got “caught up” by dessert time. Perfect.
So, here are some little known (and some well known) facts that Judy shared with us.
- She is as friendly and approachable as she seems.
- The picture she uses as her professional photo was a passport photo she took herself.
- On the day she got notice of her certification as a certified genealogical lecturer, she found she had loaded the wrong lecture onto not only her computer but also her thumbdrive! (Thanks goodness for dropbox)
- She has very distant relatives here in Seattle. Mary Roddy figured the complicated relationship to be 2nd cousins.
- She does not have a warehouse full of blogs waiting to be posted, i.e. she does not write ahead. As one of the most prolific bloggers I know, I find this amazing. She does have numerous blogs started with ideas. In my effort to “be like Judy”, I have started “idea blogging” as well.
- She and I will both be at Jamboree (and we had dinner together there also!)
- She wrote a short article for the SGS Bulletin about a state legislator in VA who couldn’t get a divorce in his home state. He found out the WA didn’t have such archaic divorce rules and so he got himself named a WA territorial governor. he stayed 2 years, just long enough to get his divorce. He then remarried a girl from Olympia and moved back to VA. (Judy is soon to give a presentation on divorce and this will be her lead “attention grabber”!)
- Her topics are generally not about her family except on Sundays.
- She will often go “mining” for material by picking a state she knows nothing about and pokes around in familysearch until she finds something that looks interesting. And, then writes about it! (I am working on a blog posting for January which I did exactly the same way. It seems like a good technique.)
I had a wonderful time!
*not to be confused with “My Dinner with Andre,” a movie that my husband took me to twice. The first time I made it to the time the waiter approached the table to give them their menu’s before falling asleep! The second time I didn’t make it through the credits! I slept through the movie both times. Hubby gave up. I certainly did not sleep through the very spirited conversation we had with Judy and the Board.
**I had started this blog posting back in May and then for some reasons didn’t post it; I am doing so now.